Mayo Hospital was established 1871 as part of clinical teaching component of King Edward Medical College, Lahore. During 19th century, Eye & ENT were under a single professional chair. In 1939 Lt. Col. Dick was the first Ophthalmologist to establish an Eye / ENT ward (Lahore Ward). The Second chair of professor was created in 1973 and third chair was created in 2000.
In 1948 Eye & ENT were separated and Professor Ramzan Ali Syed became the first head of Ophthalmic Unit.
The purpose built Institute of Ophthalmology was built in 1984 to meet the ever increasing demands of teaching and training, the undergraduates, Postgraduates and to cater for the ophthalmic needs of ever increasing population of Lahore and Punjab.
Institute of Ophthalmology has 168 beds with diagnostic and management facilities for Cataract, Glaucoma, Squint, Vitreo Retinal diseases, Orbital and oculoplastic disorders Laser Facilities, Specimen Museum, Refraction, and Conference Room for CME.
Laser Therapy, B-Scan, Biometry Hess Screen and Visual Fields are being done routinely, whereas sophisticated tests not available in any other public sector hospital like HRT, OCT, ERG are also available